Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Open Suitcase

All the Ohio people know that the weather has finally changed. I'm sitting outside, barefoot, with my new laptop and my baby, who's playing with trains. It is a joy to sit outside and work, with the sounds of birds and blowing wind.

At the height of my illness in the summer of 1991, I was in New York City. So disoriented and delusional. I thought I was Jesus.

I was in LaGuardia Airport, and my suitcase happened to burst open. Clothes and shoes went everywhere. People walked on them, tripped over them. Now, as Jesus, how to pick up the mess? I remember the process was very hard. I remember people watching me, the crazy spectacle, mumbling prayers to myself. Piece by piece, my wardrobe ended up back in the suitcase. Then, I latched it shut.

I will never forget this moment. It was truly one of the most dramatic moments of my life. I knew that people were watching me, and I had more important business to attend to.

When I'd get home, I'd set about saving the world.

No comments: