Monday, November 5, 2007

Support Groups

I said in my last post that bipolar support groups are good places to find compatible friends.

I think this is true, but I have to be honest about the rest of my feelings about support groups.

I don't like them. For several reasons.

Why I don't like bipolar support groups:

1. They're big downers. Everyone is complaining about something.

When I go to support groups, I get depressed. I have a job, a husband, a house, a child. Many of the people at support groups have nothing. It's brings me down.

2. Everyone is usually very sick.

Since I'm in remission, I don't like to be around sick people. It's funny, but manic people can actually make me manic. I would be interested in hearing if this happens to anyone else. It's like their mania rubs off on me. I generally have to stay away from very sick bipolar people.

3. I don't want to tell my business to strangers.

Ironic, isn't it? Here I am, talking to you, a total stranger, but it's different somehow...

4. There's usually no food.

I like my groups to feature food. All the bipolar groups I've been to have been w/o food...

5. I met an ex at a support group.

The relationship turned out to be very destructive. Support groups are terrible places to meet love interests, in my opinion. They're ok for friends, but not lovers.

So anyway, I really don't like support groups. You may have better luck there.

I think they're great for people who don't have family or friends. As I said, they provide instant "friendship" to those who need it.

Be careful. Don't spill your guts until you're comfortable and know something about to whom you're spilling...

I would love to hear how you feel about bipolar support groups. Leave me a comment...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand where you are coming from Laura. I get this "sick" feeling when I go to a support group. I do not find it completely nurturing. I actually get sad to see that others are suffering but then I realize that my life is alot better than theirs, thanks God for that. It does make me feel gratitude but I do agree it does not really help. What I find more helpful is reading about successful people who have bipolar or becoming friends with people who are successful and have bipolar/depression. I do not like to be around toxic people :) Not that there are only toxic people at support groups. Support groups really helped me when I was just getting out of my episode. So I think it does depend on which stage of treatment you are at personally.

Saba

ps. I'm becoming an English teacher too (secondary) :)

Laura Yeager said...

saba:

support groups are great for those first diagnosed, as you intimate. they're good for people who aren't used to being sick. newbies. support groups are good for newbies...for those just coming out of horrific episodes.

ly

Lynn Rae said...

I agree with you to some extent about support groups. The last time I felt myself going "down" they were a real downer so I found other places to socialize. I relied on distress lines when I needed to talk about my illness. However, when I fist went in 1995 after my first hospitalization they were a life saver. I finally found other people who understood what it was like to be in tears most of the day. So yes, they are good for newbies but once you are in "remission" make friends at other places from all walks of life.

Unknown said...

I am on such a fence about joining a support group. I agree with your, Laura, that while in remission one doesn't necessarily want to be around those who are sick, but I always try to convince myself that maybe there would be something theraputic about being around people who understand what I'm going through. Overall, there are possibly too many "negatives" that will keep me from even trying a group out, but there is always that curiosity.