Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Necessities for Surviving Mental Illness

"Mr. Jones, what we're dealing with here is bipolar illness..."

"Mr. Smith, you're suffering from acute schizophrenia."

"Mrs. Morris, have you ever heard of obsessive compulsive disorder?"

Learning that you have a major mental illness is a huge blow. You mourn your old, illness-free life. You may get depressed at the diagnosis. Your body might be adjusting to the new medication. You may feel isolated. In short, the first few months after learning that you're mentally ill aren't very fun.

But as time goes on, you become resigned to the fact that you have mental illness. And you look for ways to cope.

I've been bipolar since 1991. Below are some of my crucial necessities for surviving mental illness:

A good friend. My friend is Mary. Her father suffers from depression, and she from OCD. So she’s in the biz. The show biz called "mental illness." Sometimes, just talking to her on the phone shrinks my head. It’s her compassion.

A good bipolar cocktail. Medication is a must, I think. I myself am on four meds. Something for mania; something for anxiety; something for depression and something for a touch of obsessive compulsive disorder.

A good television show, something you can lose yourself in. For me, this is "Sex and the City." I never miss it on Tuesday nights on TBS. Those gorgeous shots of New York and those gorgeous women and gorgeous clothes.

A good psychiatrist. Let’s face it. Your doctor is your best friend. It helps if he or she is cute.

A good form of exercise. For me, it’s walking the dog and the baby. Around the block. Sometimes twice a day. Best done with a walking partner.

A good, supportive spouse. If you don’t have one, get one.

A good favorite dessert. Mine is the seven layer cookie bar. Melt butter; add crushed graham crackers; add walnuts, chocolate chips, coconut and sweetened condensed milk. Bake. Eat.

For women, good make-up. Lots of it. When I was in the hospital, there was a doctor there who thought that if a woman wore make-up, it was a sign that she was sane. This has rubbed off on me, and consequently, I always wear make-up. I’m a Clinique woman, myself.

A good car. People judge you by your car. If you drive a junker, they look down on you. Then, if they find out you’re mentally ill, the really shy away from you.

Good, nice clothes. Dress nicely. I went through a tee-shirt and shorts stage. No one took me seriously. And they didn’t even know about my mental condition.

A good pet. I have a beagle. He’s very nice to cuddle at the end of the day. I also like the smell of his feet. They smell like earth. Pets keep you happy. You take care of them, and they take care of you.

A good computer. Even if you don’t feel like going outside, with a computer and an internet connection, you can do a lot. Shop. Talk to friends. Research. Watch movies. Order stamps.
Write.

A good, supportive family. Don’t alienate them. I know it’s easy to do when you’re sick. Keep the channels open. They are your main life source.

A good, favorite restaurant. Even sad, depressed or completely high lunatics need food. My favorite restaurant is an Indian one. Raj Mahal.

A good job. This is perhaps the most important thing bipolar people need to survive. Something to do. I used to teach college students how to write. Now, I do freelance writing and teaching. You’ve got to have something to do with your time. If you’re on disability and can’t work, volunteer. Do something.

A good daycare or babysitter. You need time away from your kids.

And there you have it. My list of necessities for survival.

These things don't make life perfect, but they definitely make it easier.

What are your necessities?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job with the list. I couldn't even believe that it would be possible to "quantify" and write out this things that have helped you survive. I guess part of my problem is that my diagnosis of bipolar is fairly recent (within the year) and I am still in college so life is less set. Also, another problem, and my only "sigh" moment as I was reading, is that my family isn't supportive. Of my two sisters, mother and father, only my parents know about the diagnosis, but they are vehmenent deniers of any such disorder affecting me. Ho hum, I'm sure everybody has at least some non-shiny tool in their survival toolbox...