Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Scarf

There was a time when my illness was raging that I was afraid of airports. They made me extremely nervous. So many thousands of people trying to get to thousands of different places. There seemed to be too much energy inside, and it always affected my already precarious mental state.

One time I was traveling, and I had a silk scarf with me. I found it in my pocket. I put the scarf on, and it became a magic scarf. As long as I was wearing it, no harm would come to me. I kept telling this to myself. I wore the scarf everywhere. In the bathroom, while eating a quick burger at Wendy's, while walking to gates. I even had the scarf partially over my eyes, so no one could see me. It was one of those days I just wanted to disappear.

Wouldn't it be great if there were such things as magic scarves that kept us safe?

Bipolar illness brought out my creative streak. I had to find ways to make it through the day.

I once owned a magic scarf.

And I lived to tell about it.

No comments: