Tuesday, September 4, 2007

On The Sopranos, Nutrasweet and Bloodtests

I'm getting hooked on The Sopranos. We're watching season one. Tony's psychiatrist is extremely generous with her time. He must spend an hour with, her chatting away. Isn't this kind of unusual? Aren't psychiatrists famous for 15 minute sessions? Just to fill a prescription and send you on your way?

In all fairness, my psychiatrist gives me a half hour. We talk.

And another thing--someone sent me some spam about a connection between manic depression and nutrasweet. the document was highly unscientific, but I'm thinking of giving up nutrasweet. I drink so much of it. Frankly, I don't think there's any way to shake this illness.

Finally, I hate getting my blood drawn. That might be one of the worst aspects of manic depression and lithium comsumption. It hurts, and it's a real pain in the ass. I have to set aside a whole morning to get the procedure done. They put this rubber hose around my arm and SQUEEZE. It's so intrusive. My lithium level is always normal.

More later...

1 comment:

Willie said...

I know what you mean about blood tests. I was diagnosed bi-polar in 1972. Of course it was called manic depressive then. I have had the same psychiatrist ever since and he is near retirement and in his seventies. This saddens me as I do not want to lose the relationship. Anyway, he says the main reason for blood tests after a suitable dose of lithium is determined is to make sure the patients are taking it. I have not had these blood tests for years now. Lithium is great for controlling mania but depression is another matter. None of the anti-depressants work for me.